I saw this strange millipede the previous night on my porch. It didn't look or act at all like the blunt, thick, darker ones I see everyday, so I took it inside for a quick photo-shoot.
Here, he is walking on the biblical landscape of my bed. Notice how its body tapers like a cone towards his head, and how he holds the first 5-6 pairs of his legs off the ground when walking.
Suddenly, he stopped as if something was wrong. Then, in a moment that will haunt me as long as I live, that thing turned his head completely backwards and started licking himself. I didn't know millipedes could do that!
Here is a close up of its eerily insect-like head as it cleans itself. (This reminds me of the Arthropod head problem.)UPDATE!
Professor Zoltan Korsos of the Hungarian Natural History Museum has identified this strange millipede as a member of the orderCallipodida . Apparently, further identificiation is only possible through a microscopic dissection of the creature's copulatory legs. Köszönöm, Mr. Korsos!
No comments:
Post a Comment