Monday, 24 December 2007

A Giant Spider

When I went to London, I thought I'd kiss my old habit of randomly finding small animals goodbye. Yet I was glad to be proven wrong, even in one of the most industrialized urban environments on earth. Take a look at this one: I found this (proportionally) gigantic spider on my doorstep in the New Cross Gate area. That's a 2-Pound coin it's standing next to.

Although I'm not a hundred-percent sure, I think this spider is a Segestria florentina, one of the largest spiders of Europe. It was almost certainly a she, since only the females attain this size in this species.

Just look at those emerald-green fangs. I'm lucky that she didn't bite me, since according to Wikipedia, a Segestria bite is supposed to feel like "...like a deep injection, and the pain can last for several hours." Yowch! After carefully scooping her up in a porcelain bowl for this photoshoot, I let this sexy chick loose in my dorm's garden.

Through random co-incidence, my adventures in London brought me face-to-face with another gigantic spider only days later. However, this time it was a sculpture by Louise Bourgeois, at the Tate Modern Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment