Friday, 15 February 2008

The-O in Istanbul

More than two months ago, I attended an exhibition opening organized by my friend Mihda, seen above on the right-hand side. She runs URA, a gallery-space-thing in one of the busiest districts in Istanbul.

This exhibit in URA was devoted mostly to the documentaries of Bronwen-Parker Rhodes, who is an up-and coming director from London. Here she is.

I really liked her work, especially that one big video that chronicles the lives of some nerds who dress up, act and live like Tolkien-esque orcs.

There was also this one, which peeked into the life of an entomologist. For more of Bronwen's work, you can visit this link.

But arguably, the highlight of the opening night was an "art performance" by a certain The-O; a British-Cypriot performer. Admittedly, I had seen some very poor stuff peddled off as "performance" before in Istanbul, so I didn't have high hopes...

...but this show was really intense. And good.

Halfway through the show, I was viciously attacked by The-O. Here is a shot from my camera just then.

Using complicated Krav-Maga maneuvers, I redirected his attack to an unsuspecting group of Turkish art appreciators standing next to me.

At the end of the show, The-O suddenly dropped as if dead, and proceeded to lie comatose for the next hour.

...not even shock therapy, or being kicked by hot girls, could revive him.

At the end, however, he did move from his place as hunger pressed above all other needs. Mihda and some of our friends took The-O to a local Sutlac (Turkish pudding) place, resulting in a stranger artistic combination than anything that happened before in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment