After barely missing the last train downtown to watch one of my friends DJing tonight, I snapped some pictures of the local nightlife instead. Turns out, the multitudes of slugs that live on the moist pavements around my house are almost as interesting as London's clubs.
Most slugs around my house were of this greenish yellow variety, perhaps of the species Limax flavus. (I'm not 100% certain on this identification.)
I saw perhaps a dozen of these slugs, all with an individual pattern of spots and color shades.
Some of them, as this picture shows, were giants. This particular titan had one eyestalk smaller than the other.
Here is a close-up of Old One-Eye. I wonder which unknown calamity claimed his eyestalk.
This reddish-brown slug certainly belonged to a different species from the greenish L. flavus I'd seen everywhere else.
Slowly going back home, I saw this gristly scene literally on my doorstep. A garden slug of some sort had been stepped on and a Limax had promptly arrived on the scene... to devour the remains of its dead cousin. Notice the presence of an opportunistic isopod next to the slug, cheerfully sharing its meal. The bastards.
Partners in crime? Isopods and slugs are established accomplices in all sort of dastardly deeds such as stealing cat food, eating each others' slime and generally huddling together in inappropriate ways.Having taken my last pictures, I went back home and with nothing to do for the rest of the night, posted them here on my blog. This was not, however, my first encounter with British slugs.
No comments:
Post a Comment