
Last spring, I took a family trip to fabled
Cappadocia region in the middle of Anatolia, where I stayed for a couple of days in the town of Ürgüp.

Touring the streets of Ürgüp, me and my brother came across this unusual monument. All those names, chiseled straight onto a slab of marble... could this be a monument to some tragedy?

Even more names. Oh dear, there must've been a
massacre! Wait, some of those names have titles like
Director,
Story,
Production and
AVID Editing before them...

...oh, now I see! The unnecessarily war memorial-like monument, it turned out, was actually honoring
Asmali Konak, a very famous Turkish TV drama that was filmed right here in Ürgüp. I remember it being a huge hit between 2002 and 2003, where it was broadcast not only in Turkey, but also in Greece, where
a large population of Cappadocian Greek exiles still live.
No comments:
Post a Comment